Saturday, April 26, 2008

Experiment

There's a couple of experiments that I want to try out. Maybe I should do that after the exams.

Experiment Number 1:

I'm sure all of you here knows how Ah Bengs or our local gangsters dress like. Shirt with weird designs, skinny jeans, slippers/Converse Brand sneakers and a cap. Most of them are can be spotted from their way of walking, the swaying-arms type walk. I believe that I'm stereotyping them from coming to conclusions without actually knowing one myself, but so do most people. Which is why, I'm trying to prove that us human beings are very prejudiced creatures and we tend to judge things easily by appearances. That's why I'm going to persuade my parents to buy me some "Ah Beng" clothes. I'm going to walk around dressing like an Ah Beng, just to see the type of reaction from people. What they actually do not know is that I'm from SJI! I'm expecting a few stares. Some of you may think I'm a freak but hey, this is just an idea. I have no action plan yet.

Experiment Number 2:

I've been noticing the strange type of schoolbags that we students carry nowadays. Apart from the Crumplers and Zincs, I noticed a few bags with the shape of a teddybear or Jack Skellington in my school. Maybe, if I got a gunny sack and designed it to be a super cool bag, I may actually create a new wave of fashion. According to the book "The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell, you don't need a large number of people to start a trend. I must say here that I'm not trying to poke or make fun of teenagers and their fashion statement or tastes, this is just a curious thought which entered my mind during dinner with my mom. No action plan developed yet.


Now, apart from all my crazy ideas, exams are coming up next friday and here I am, blogging away. I see blogging as a way of expressing my thoughts without writing. I guess it's obvious enough because my hands are usually so tired after a day of endless writing. Have been mugging Elective Humanities. Have not touched my Literature yet, as I leave the memorizing work to monday and tuesday. I hope I can do well, or at least maintain my current scores, which is not too bad but could be better. Competition is tough in class. But I'll try to do my best.

Anyway, I watched the Forbidden Kingdom yesterday. I felt that the movie was a mash-up of the "Journey To The West", "The Bride With White Hair" and some other budget Kung-Fu stars of the 1900's. However, I particularly love the background and the scenery of the show. Completely breathtaking. I felt like I was really in heaven. Wish there was some place like that in the world. I must say that Jet Li and Jackie Chan did a really great job collaborating in the film, as the duo really made me laugh. *Spoiler* Jet Li urinated on Jackie's face. Haha. Fell in love with Liu Yifei as well. I didn't imagine that her english will be so good despite knowing her only from chinese dramas all the time. Beautiful... and so young. Looks like she has a bright future ahead of her.

However, I didn't particularly like the movie because it was in english. I mean, the whole movie is set in a chinese-looking land but yet, they speak english! Lemme give you an example in the movie. When the protagonist and Jackie first meet, here's how their conversation went.

Jackie: 你手里的棍子从哪儿来的?
Protagonist: I don't understand what you're talking about?
Jackie: 到底从哪里得来的?
Protagonist: I really don't understand what you're saying!
Jackie: THAT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!

The transition was really weird. I'm not sure I really liked that part. I will give my full review on the show later. Signing off now to study and my entry is getting very long. Ciao!

No comments: